Monday, April 13, 2015

Mono Red, For Real?

Hi Everyone!
I don't know if you all saw the Pro Tour coverage this weekend. I was glued to my computer watching all weekend long! I really liked the way Standard is playing right now, with a lot of diversity, not a single top deck and all the top decks have close win percentages.

The thing that makes me really sad is that a basic mono-red aggro/burn deck won the Pro Tour. I think playing against burn isn't a lot of fun and i think having burn be a tier 1 deck isn't the best standard environment.

Regardless of the deck that won. It appears that like many third sets, there was an impact, but no new deck archetypes flew to the top. I did notice that there were a few new cards floating in the format.

Atarka's CommandThe one that caught my eye as I saw it as a sweet card from the very beginning of the previews was Atarka's Command.

Let's have a look over this baby, it stops pesky Seige Rhino or Mastery of the Unseen lifegain, it works like a RG lightning strike to the face, or buffs up your creatures.

I think the most interesting mode that burn players (or should I say mono-red players) probably overlook on first glance is the last ability buffing up creatures. It seems like with four or more creatures (assuming they are making it to the face) is even better for the red player.

Anyway, I thought this was a great card from the first time I saw it and it's going to be around for a while. The main reason I wanted to talk about it is that most people see the burn as the most used method. I'd guess that that's not the case with Atarka's Command. I'd bet that the most used is like a mini Jeskai Charm.

I'm excited to see what the commands will do in the future and I'm going to keep my eye open to see what happens with the commands of Dragons of Tarkir.

No comments:

Post a Comment