Tuesday, September 6, 2011

When to Cash Out (Part 5)

Today we are continuing our series on when to cash out. The answer to that question depends greatly on your future plans. (Remember, failure to plan equates planning to fail.) We are going to examine one case, namely myself.

I started playing Magic back when Tempest was newly released. I was in a WotC store and managed to acquire a beta copy of MTG:O and was an active beta-tester. When MTG:O was released, I was house hunting and knew that I was going to be unable to participate in both physical cards and virtual cards. That's when I began seeking ways to continue to play Magic with present and future cards without digging too deep into our pockets when things like mortgages and auto insurance are more important.

That's when I found YATBot. I had a spare computer and dedicated it to running an Uncommon version of YATBot. I studied the market and realized that uncommons were an under-served market and thought I could use that to get decent playable cards. It worked quite well, and even made some pocket money on the side in addition to obtaining more cards to make reasonably competitive decks.

Then I discovered that VMware because a free product and a friend had a computer with a newly burnt out video card slot. It was not going to play Crysis, but it was able to run VMware with two (2) bots on it comfortably. So, I decided to forgo some profits and purchase an additional two (2) licenses of YATBot and run two (2) bots on this secondhand computer and the original was being run in a VM under my desktop.

This setup worked quite well. My profits increased. I was getting quicker access to cards so I was able to compete sooner than I was in the past. Until MTGO 2.x's limit was reached and I was forced to drop down to one bot at a time and then waiting around until YATBot 3.0 would be released.

We'll continue this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment