Friday, August 26, 2011

When to Cash Out (Part 2)

I was invited to a wedding anniversary dinner some time ago and as the evening was winding down, I found myself speaking to an acquaintance: He was telling me that attending this event was depressing for him.

“Why”? I inquired.

“Even though these events are supposed to be a celebration, all they do is remind me that I'll never be a part of them.” he said.

“Go on.” I urged.

“I just do not understand it. I am not in debt. I am not a criminal. I don't do drugs. I have been employed with the same company for over fifteen (15) years. And yet John and Jane have been married for a dozen years and have two (2) kids. They're the same age as me. I've not made any major mistakes in life. So what am I doing wrong?” he confided.

“OK, let's take a look at your life.” I replied. “You live in a trailer. You drive a jalopy. The only time you leave your domicile is to go to work and play softball.”

“Nothing wrong with any of those things.” he countered defensively.

“That's true.” I said. “Yet the facts remain. The reason you do not have a house is because you never made a decision to buy one. The reason you drive a jalopy is because you have not looked for another car.” The reason you are not married is because you've not decided that you really want to be married.

I continued. “You live in a trailer because you were forced to move and have remained there ever since. You do not have a `better car` because you do not really desire one. You are single because you have not chosen to actively date. In short my friend, you are coasting through life.

This is my point: my friend has proved the old axiom: If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. This is used mostly for businesses, although it has implications for life as well.

We'll continue this discussion next time.

PS: I do read the comments. Just that for some odd reason, I am unable to respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment