Wednesday, May 6, 2015

What to do with all the junk rares on your bots?

The recent drop in junk rares prices by mtgotraders from 5 cents to 1 cent has affected the market as a whole. I suspect I have been way to fascinated by picking up cheap junk rares but what I (and you) seriously has to consider is what we are going to do with these rares.

Lite Bots are not working like they used to. Even the prices of commons and uncommons have dropped.



Will junk rare prices rise again?
Probably not. The enormous supply and ease of sale on Magic Online do push the price of these cards down to the bottom and, except in special cases (most often Standard legal cards) the prices will probably stay low even with a huge influx of new players on Magic Online.

How should you price your junk rares?
I have kept the high price of 5 cents for my junk rares. I sell 3 uncommons for 3 cents and commons for 2 cents. Honestly, I sell a lot more commons and uncommons than rares.

My reasoning is that these cards are usually used to burn the last credit a user has on the bot. If he is going to burn his last credit he might as well give me some margin. In fact, these deals are among the most profitable I make percentage-wise, but naturally it is very hard to scale to make any significant difference to the bottom line.

What about the Lite Bots?
My Lite Bot business has been really hurt by this change in pricing. Business is perhaps 20% of what it used to be just a few months back. Have you experienced the same?

Who wants the Junk Rares?
Well, the problem probably is that noone does. I have heard some podcasts talk about how rogue brewing now is dirt cheap on Magic Online and that is of course true but not to a degree that helps us botters generate any money. I wish Heirloom was a bigger format.


What is your strategy for dealing with junk rares on your bots? How many do you pick up? What do you pay for them? How do you sell them? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment