Sunday, February 15, 2015

Modern Decks - Soul Sisters Part 1

Hi Everyone!

Today, I'm starting a new series on several Modern format decks. I thought it would be fun to talk about my decks and the evolution they went through and ultimately how I think they fare in the current metagame.

The first deck I'm going to talk about is Soul Sisters. This is what I'm classifying as a creature deck (it wins by attacking with creatures and is fair, IE not combo or control). I'll go into classifications of decks more when we go over some of the decks that straddle the line of creature and combo or control and combo.

The deck works by getting one of the three different soul sisters into play and playing an Ajani's Pridemate and watch it grow like crazy, or because of a convenient side effect of life gain being that your lifetotal gets high, you can get a 6/6 Flying, Lifelinked Serra Ascendant for a single white mana.


The deck has a few notable interactions. The first is the "soul sisters" Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, and Auriok Champion.


 Here was my first attempt at the deck:

3 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Ajani's Pridemate
3 Honor of the Pure
2 Spectral Procession
3 Ranger of Eos
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Auriok Champion
2 Proclamation of Rebirth
2 Cavern of Souls
21 Plains

It was similar to a list I saw online and wanted to build some resiliency to the deck from board sweepers. It also included Martyr of Sands for that instant 6/6 flying, lifelink Serra Ascendant.

If you look at it, it's kind of a cross between the now separate archetype of Martyr Proc and Soul Sisters. It served me well and was a fun deck to play, it had creatures that provided card advantage, it was aggressive, and it was fun to play.

Next time, I'm going to talk about some of the shortcomings the deck had and what I did to remedy them.

1 comment: