Sunday, February 22, 2015

The problem with Modern? Yes, it really has a problem, a big one.

Hi Everyone,
Today, we're taking a small step away from the Soul Sisters deck series in order to talk about something that's been really controversial to a lot of readers. Paulo Vitor Dama Da Rosa wrote an article talking about the problems with Modern.

He wrotge that the big problem is that Modern has a lot of linear strategies that are all good and that many matchups depend on sideboard cards.

He proposed that more sideboard slots be allowed in Modern to account for the wide array of decks and lack of versatile cards in the format (all the good sideboard cards are "silver bullets"). I think this a potential solution and would serve to make the format better.

I thought it was important to talk about this as it's the "outing" of the problem I planned to discuss in my next article discussing Modern decks.

This week I read numerous internet forums of people defending Modern as their format of choice and how it has variety and is a great format...I didn't comment because I didn't have hours and hours to disprove all their nonsense arguements.

Here's the fact, you need to play either a combo deck or a deck with sideboard slots devoted to beating combo decks, or decks that can win before a combo deck can go off (think burn and infect). The reason Abzan was the most played deck is because it wasn't combo and is has disruption in the form of Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek and cards like Abrupt Decay and Maelstrom Pulse serving as general answers.

The other option is to play other decks. I'm currently doing a series on Soul Sisters (it's fun to play and easily beats the creature decks in the format and has the amazing side effect of not losing to twin combo much) and last Wednesday I showcased a video of the deck and showed it against another creature deck. Soul Sisters won. This coming Wednesday, I'm going to post about the deck versus a combo deck. It's not pretty. The only chance I have versus a combo deck is sideboard hate, sometimes I get lucky and am able to kill my opponent before they can go off. I often find myself taking mulligans if I didn't draw any of my sideboard hate in my opening hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment