Sunday, June 21, 2015

The future of Vintage and Legacy

Hi Everyone!
Darksteel Colossus
If you've read my articles and watched my videos you know that I constantly talk about how Modern will progressively look more and more like Legacy.

I realized something last night when I watched one of my favorite streamers double queued Vintage and Modern. I couldn't tell at first glance which deck was Vintage and which deck was Modern.

This was quite the realization. At that moment I realized that it's not modern that's beginning to look like Vintage, it's Vintage that's beginning to look like modern.

It all makes sense though, they keep printing better and better creatures. I remember when the best thing to tinker or show and tell was Darksteel Colossus. I remember when Autumn Willow (the first creature with pseudo hexproof) was a big deal (it never got played at my LGS but it was still a big deal).

So, let's all not be surprised when some kind of survival of the fittest deck becomes a top tier deck at some point in the future. It could be like Pod was to modern. Creatures are insane compared to the Serra Angels I used to play with back in the old days.

Do you think creatures could ever get so good that Vintage decks could be primarily creature based?

1 comment:

  1. It would be awesome if that happened to Vintage ... but I think there will always be purely spell based decks in the format. The creatures just can't become as broken as those old spells

    ReplyDelete