Friday, July 13, 2012

Failure (Part 3)

The only real failure in life is the failure to try.

A couple of months ago, I was listening to a pessimistic acquaintance of mine   In his rant, he stated several reasons that running a bot would be unsuccessful for him.  I’ve learned that when one has questions, others do as well, so I would take these questions and go through each of his failure fears and address those directly.

[1] He fears that the bot would never make a trade.

While that is a possibility, the likelihood of that happening is extremely low.  I know that on my first bot’s first day, I made several trades.  I also did nothing special to increase its appeal. 

Never making a trade?  The only way I can see that happening is that if the pricing of cards on the bot are not even close to reality.  If you have the bot set to sell commons for two (2) tickets each, or to give a ticket only after receiving 1,000 cards, then I can see the bot not making many trades.  So keep your prices reasonable.

Look at it this way: You have semi-professional drafters who are looking to unload their 500 copies of certain cards.  So any new bot which happens on the scene means that it is easier to unload those 500 copies.  So getting an inventory should not be a problem.

On the flip side, MTGO rotates the listing of bots on the Classified section and whatever you place as its message will be searchable.  So people will find your bot, even if it is by accident.  You will find customers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment