Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Vintage Decks - Mentor

Hi Everyone!

This week I played a lot of Standard after playing months of nothing but Vintage. I learned a lot in these couple weeks of nothing but standard. I learned that you can actually use f6 in Standard a lot more than in Vintage because it gives information away to be f6'd. That's not that important.

What is important is that everyone's been badmouthing white as a weak Vintage color. They aren't wrong, but there are some sweet options for white in Vintage.

The first sideboard card I absolutely love is Containment Priest. It stops oath, dredge, reanimator, and tinker or Kuldotha Forgemaster Blightsteel strategies and it's got flash. It's worth as much as an entire Commander deck right now. I don't see that as a losing proposition investment wise.

But here's the thing that's been a rage since it's release, Monastery Mentor.

I whipped up a blue white black deck and took it out for some games. The deck performed well. I think it needs another mana source or two at least but it was still super cool and fun to play. Plus most of the time untapping with a Mentor and two monk tokens ends the game.

The sideboard is tailored to the stax and dredge match. I'm also really happy that I have another solution to oath. I think containment priest is one of the better cards available in white for Vintage.

I have a Kataki and four energy flux against stax. I only have 5 cards vs stax but I pretty any one of them wrecks their day. Two is game over. Enjoy the games below!


Here's the match:




Here's the decklist:
1 Brainstorm
1 Black Lotus
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Ponder
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
4 Mental Misstep
3 Gitaxian Probe
1 Mox Jet
1 Flusterstorm
4 Flooded Strand
2 Mystic Remora
2 Tundra
2 Cavern of Souls
3 Monastery Mentor
2 Underground Sea
4 Polluted Delta
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
3 Thoughtseize
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Yawgmoth's Will
1 Notion Thief
1 Treasure Cruise
2 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Mox Pearl
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Swords to Plowshares
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Mana Crypt

Sideboard
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Kataki, War's Wage
4 Energy Flux
4 Rest in Peace
4 Containment Priest

No comments:

Post a Comment