Sunday, June 22, 2014

My initial Vintage Masters Limited experience

In Sweden we celebrate Midsummer in a very unique way. It is a holiday as big as christmas and we spend our time dancing around a gigantic phallos symbol pretending to be frogs (I am not making this up). That important holiday gave me precious little time to try out Vintage Masters but I decided to get a draft in before I left to spend a week with my in-laws celebrating Midsummer.

I was poorly prepared for the format, having only listened to the Limited Resources episode on Vintage Masters and browsed a couple of articles. All I heard was that Battle Screech was a hidden gem. So I was looking for Battle Screeches.

This was my draft. I went for a Swiss Draft as I wanted as much play for my money as possible (I always go for Swiss drafts).


My preference for Battle Screeches had placed me in a Mono White Weenie deck. Mono colored decks are rare in limited but when the color was given to me in this generous way, they are usually good.

This is the list I decided to play

16 Plains
1 Secluded Steppe
3 Battle Screech
2 Afterlife
1 Radiant's Judgement
2 Brilliant Halo
3 Deftblade Elite
1 Benevolent Bodyguard
2 Phantom Nomads
2 Soltari Emissary
2 Benalish Trapper
3 Gustcloak Harrier
1 Pianna
1 Mistmoon Griffin

There were a couple of nice combos in the deck, such as Deftblade Elite + Brilliant Halo and Phantom Nomad + Brilliant Halo. I felt slightly positive about the deck. Doing a 2-1 draft with a Tundra would be positive value, so that was my goal.

Match 1 vs some four-color pile of cards




Match 2 vs UG Big Monsters
I thought this guy was playing the dreaded UG Madness deck but there really wasn't much madness going on.




Match 3 vs GR Lightning Rift
Up to this point, Battle Screech was very good. Somehow, I found myself in the finals against this slick GR Lightning Rift deck. This guy could take out a full Battle Screech with just two cycling activations in duel one. Pretty impressive.



In the end, Battle Screech performed above expectation (even thought expectations were high). I will be looking for Battle Screeches in my next draft as well.

Bonus Draft with my buddy Sam



Bonus Sealed with my buddy Julien


Overall impression of the format
My initial impression is that the format is much like Modern Masters - totally awesome! I will be doing more drafts when I get back from my crazy countrymen.


Contact me
Facebook: facebook.com/magicgatheringstrat
Web: magicgatheringstrat.com
Blog: mtgolibrary.blogspot.com

My YouTube channels
Fan of History: My ancient history series
MagicGatheringStrat: My MTGO channel

No comments:

Post a Comment