Sunday, June 29, 2014

Vintage Masters Sealed Deck Premier Event 7211778

I  like the Vintage Masters limited format a lot. I have played Magic for a long time and Vintage Masters appeals to me.

So I decided to play a Premier Event and spend 45 tickets for your entertainment and for a chance to particpate in the Power 9 lottery.

This is the deck building portion:


Having just read in an excellent article (link at the end) that WR aggro was the deck with the highest win ratio in the draft format, I decided to go aggro! Flametongue Kavu, Battle Screech and Goblin Trenches sure looked sweet.

8 Mountain
8 Plains
1 Forgotten Cave

2 Aftershock
1 Kindle
1 Kindle
1 Flametongue Kavu
1 Goblin Patrol
2 Solar Blast
1 Goblin Trenches
1 Jareth, Leonine Titan
1 Gustcloak Harrier
1 Chain Lightning
1 Hulking Goblin
1 Deftblade Elite
1 Battle Screech
2 Phantom Nomad
1 Devout Witness
2 Soltari Emissary
1 Radiant, Archangel
1 Radiant's Judgment
1 Chartooth Cougar


My relevant sideboard cards were 2 Gilded Light (though there was probably no real Storm decks in a Sealed tournament), 1 Renewed Faith, 1 Astral Slide and 1 Wheel of Fortune.

These are the first four matches. They were very uneven. Only the first one was exciting.






I was 2-2 after these matches and quite discouraged. The format seemed so slow compared to the draft format I have heard was so quick. UG Madness seemed very overpowered if you can get it (just like Briang Wong said on Limited Resources).

Well, 5-2 could still theoretically make the top 8. So lets get there!

In my fifth match I faced WU Control, which is one of the ten archetypes Wizards talked about when they released the format.


In my sixth match I was up against WGr big buys. WG is the Little Kid's Deck (as stated by Wizards) but it is also the second most winning deck in the draft format. Armadillo Cloak would be quite hard for me to handle.

Check out the action here.


A lot of boosters was up for grabs in this last match. I faced a WG Aggro deck that was very fast, just like my own deck was supposed to be.

(Round 7 video)



If you just want to know what happened, here is my two minute final statement about the Premier Event and the final result.




And here are some relevant links regarding the Vintage Masters Limited format:

This is my 3-0 VMA draft with White Weenie: http://mtgolibrary.blogspot.se/2014/06/my-initial-vintage-masters-limited.html

My buddy VaultBoyHunter plays VMA Draft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__LXlH0UoTE&list=PL2jQrD9SkZONa7pjkuut4JGD1MSOYMIdr

My friend Julien plays VMA Sealed Deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eIOxV2tpXA&list=PL2jQrD9SkZOPhyWVolttCf5w5b7vuKBK8

A very good article about the draft format that includes hard statistics about what decks are actually winning:  http://puremtgo.com/articles/ars-arcanum-vintage-masters-draft-overview

A good article about the draft format: http://www.quietspeculation.com/2014/06/unlocked-insider-winning-in-vintage-masters-draft/


Contact Info:

YouTube: MagicGatheringStrat, sngprop, Fan of History (Ancient History)
Twitter: @MagicGathStrat
Web: magicgatheringstrat.com
blog: mtgolibrary.com
Facebook: facebook.com/MagicGatheringStrat


No comments:

Post a Comment