Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tales from the Magic 2015 Prerelease

When I am writing this I just finished my 5th M15 Prerelease Sealed (its good to have bots).

My first impression
* The sealed format is faster than the M14 draft format, but not by much. 7-drops are playable.
* The blue and the green prerelease cards are reasons not to choose those colors.
* The white and the red prerelease cards are good but expensive. Siege Dragon is a nuisance for many decks.
* Indulgent Tormentor is broken and by far the best card. I have taken black every time and never looked back.
* Red seems like the best color if you ignore the prerelease cards.



A sample tournament

In this (my 5th event, #3 on the my Youtube Channel) I once again selected Black but ended up with two of the white prerelease card as well - Resolute Archangel.

This was my deck

1 Evolving Wilds
8 Plains
9 Swamps

1 Typhoid Rats
1 Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1 Oreskor Swiftclaw
1 Bronze Sable
1 Carrion Crow
1 Witch's Familiar
1 Gargoyle Sentinel
1 Razorfoot Griffin
1 Gravedigger
1 Rotfeaster Maggot
2 Shadowcloak Vampire
1 Indulgent Tormentor
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
2 Resolute Archangel

1 Ulcerate
1 Sign in Blood
1 Pillar of Light
1 Solemn Offering
1 Stab Wound
1 Triplicate Spirits


I had seen so many artifacts in the format that I decided to maindeck one Solemn Offering. I am not sure that was correct.

I go through my decisions when building the deck in this video.



These are the first three rounds, all of them wins. Some easy, some very hard.



In the fourth round I faced a really good Simic deck in the final. He had great synergies with bouncing guys and ETB creatures (such as the Hydra). Could my broken prerelease cards win the day?

Me and my buddies will play more M15 prerelease events. You can follow it all in the below playlist



I hope you enjoy this new core set as much as I do.

2 comments:

  1. I had an awesome 3-1-0 prerelease
    Lost to a guy who was running 3 forge devils and 3 Altac Bloodseekers
    That synergy was the nuts, drop a bloodseeker, then forge devils kills an early drop, and swing in for 4.
    I feel strongly bloodseeker will see some play "Altac Bloodseeker gets +2/+0 and gains first strike and haste until end of turn." that is extremely useful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a nice run myself... two 3-1's and a 4-0. Soul of Theros makes any mediocre white pool into a stomping. Add 19 lands, and ride him to 11 packs. That same pool had a Soul of Zendikar and enough fixing to splash 2x Flesh to Dust and a Garruk's Wake.

    One game I even kept a one-lander... Still got Soul of Theros out on turn 6 for a turn 8 win.

    ReplyDelete