Sunday, June 15, 2014

Cards I bought this weekend

While waiting for Vintage Masters to drop I looked for other things to invest in. I am trying to invest every week - if you don't buy, it is hard to make a good monthly earning on MTGO Finance.

Some general trends

As stated before, now is the time to invest in Theros block with the intention to sell during the first Standard PTQ Season in 2015. More about that here: http://mtgolibrary.blogspot.se/2013/11/when-to-invest-in-fall-set-theros-for.html 

Pauper is under a lot of pressure right now and I can't believe that Wizards intended it to lose this much popularity. I think they have a plan for saving Pauper and that it has already been announced - Constructed Leagues (scheduled to launch along with the relaunch of Limited Leagues this year). Generally, all Pauper staples are risky but good pickups. Having said that, I did not invest in them yet - still waiting for VMA to fall.




The cards I bought this weekend

As always I am looking for 200% return within 12 months. Some of the below investments are riskier than that but I expect their return to be greater if they hit.

Agent of the Fates (0,05): He just needs a deck and then we are off to the races.

Boon Satyr (0,11): Massive supply has bottomed out this card.

Champion of Stray Souls (0,25): This is very cheap for a Mythic and should be a good target for a sell-at-redemption pickup.

Chained to the Rocks (0,1): If there is a RW deck after rotation, this card will be in it even without Shocklands.

Clifftop Retreat (0,15): I actually bought all the ISD lands. The flashback drafts hit these cards hard when they were already trending down. This seems very cheap.

Donate (0,42): At a low point still due to the flashback drafts. Should return to old price levels eventually.

Elvish Archdruid (0,05): I picked up a couple of hundreds of these. It has been printed four times but if it becomes standard legal again it will still give a lot more than 200%. Just look what happened to Chandra's Phoenix that used to be a penny rare.

Gild (0,05): Gold just looks like a mechanic from the next block that will be more relevant come Khans of Targir.

Gods in general (x): I am getting playsets of all the gods at this time. Only going deep on Purphoros though (and possibly Kruphix).

Hive Mind (0.05) :There is even a deck named after this card and it is getting old. Is this really a penny rare forever? I doubt it.

Mistcutter Hydra (0,11): Could easily be 0.5 or 0.6 this fall.

Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx (0,46): Immediatly went up after I bought it. I think this card will get its time to shine before it rotates out in October 2015.

Prophet of Kruphix (0,05): Wont be a penny rare forever.

Purphoros, God of the Forge (2.54): If Targir block is all about small creatures this guy should be quite powerful. Already seeing play in Standard, I feel it can only go up.

Spear of Heliod (0,05): If Khans is indeed about weenie hordes, this card should be useful.

Soldier of the Pantheon (0,15): The next block could be all about weenie hordes and/or be multicolored. If one of these two things happen, Soldier should be fine.

Spirit of the Labyrinth (0,05): Just way too good to be a penny rare.

Sylvan Caryatid (0,35): Good Theros pickup.

Swan Song (0,05): One mana counterspell will not be a penny rare forever.

Whip of Erebos (0,05): The legendary nature and huge supply of the divine weapons make them risky but I can't resist picking them up at this price.


What do you think are good Theros pickups? Remember the 200% rule. I am being conservative here as VMA just will be a lot better with higher returns so I am saving cash for that and for the Modern collapse in September.

I know I am much too fond of penny rares but they are the cards with the highest potential. Last year, this was the time I was involved in picking up 300 Nightveil Specters at 0,05 tix. If just one out of three penny rare specs hit the return is usually much better than going deep on Kiora or Ajani (who both are unlikely to yield 200%).

Waiting for Vintage Master prices to drop

What am I waiting for? I am waiting for supply to make the high demand cards bottom out. Here are my thoughts on the matter: http://mtgolibrary.blogspot.se/2014/05/vintage-masters.html

Contact me

Facebook: facebook.com/magicgatheringstrat
Web: magicgatheringstrat.com
Blog: mtgolibrary.blogspot.com

My YouTube channels:
Fan of History: My ancient history series
MagicGatheringStrat: My MTGO channel
Atlassolutions4: My life (and my puppy)

No comments:

Post a Comment