Sunday, August 17, 2014

Thoughts on Wizards Management



Hi Everyone!
Today, I want to look away from the MTGO economy and look at Wizards as a company. This article is in response to the very popular article from last weekend posted on this blog. I have a couple areas that I have a great deal of expertise in. One of those areas is management.

I have hinted at it before when I wrote about the flip-flopping regarding Vintage Masters on demand drafts. It appears to me that Wizards management is awful. Click here to read comments about Wizards from current and former employees.

Based on everything I knew before last week about Wizards, I confidently said, they make a good product but could be run more effectively. I have been reading articles by Mark Rosewater for at least 10 years, every single one. When I read that much from a certain person, I tend to be able to pick up on what they were or are feeling when they write, even if they aren’t the next iconic writer. Mark Rosewater wrote several times about how Wizards had made a mistake or made a poor decision. Mostly it was about a single card design, and it’s reasonable to expect that a card would slip through the cracks and make it to print (the article on skullclamp comes to mind released right after the ban announcement was made).

 Sometimes it was about entire sets or blocks. In another article he talked about how Kamigawa block was a success (I didn’t believe he really felt that way but when I realized he did, but that was worse than thinking he was lying to the readers). He talked about how Kamigawa was rich with flavor but the power level was low (he didn’t mention it but the mechanics were terrible too), and how Homelands was weak with flavor and had a low power level.
I didn’t make any assumptions purely off that article, but that was the article was when all my ideas came together. I realized that Wizards didn’t completely get it. If I were in charge a bunch of people would have gotten fired over Kamigawa block. It was so bad, I actually quit playing magic for a number of years because of it. Let’s look at a Magic set like a car. Let’s say there are two main factors to each, Magic has a flavor element and an element I’m going to call playability and it includes quality of mechanics and power level. Now lets look at the two main things a car needs to do for us. It needs to go forward when we push the gas pedal, and slow down when we push the brake pedal. Wizards calling Kamigawa anything other than a complete 100% failure is like the car we’re testing accelerating to 100 MPH and crashing into a wall at the end of the test track, then reporting, that our car was awesome, it went really fast, it didn’t stop in time, but it went fast. I have to point out that there is quality control that comes between the design and prototype of the car. All this was supposed to have been done between the design and the production of the prototype car.

I don’t mean to ramble but if the product doesn’t work, regardless of one or some parts working well, the product didn’t work and as a result is a failure.That's not to say the parts can't be used in other applications, but the project as a whole was a failure.

I read the reviews on glassdoor.com about wizards. When everyone who leaves the company says it’s terrible and the only people who say it’s great are the people who still work there, there’s something seriously wrong. I have left jobs and don’t think it was a bad job, I just outgrew the position.

I think that the reviews online about Wizards as a company are interesting because it’s what I have always said about Wizards (confirmed by Mark Rosewater articles). Wizards is run by a bunch of math nerds with Ph.D.’s in math. That’s great for the designers to be nerds, but the nerds need to stay out of the business operations of the company. Most of the complaints are regarding the software development and that sales and marketing have more power than they should. It makes sense that marketing should say, “I want it to be like this so the final product will match our brand image”. But Sales and Marketing needs to stick to what they know and let the coders do the coding.

Go ahead and shoot me an email at mtgconfidant@gmail.com or friend me on facebook or follow me and let me know if you want to hear more about my thoughts on these kinds of issues!

Thanks for reading!

Mtg Confidant

No comments:

Post a Comment