Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Modern Decks - Soul Sisters Part 2

Hi Everyone!

I'm back, and as promised with a video for you all.

Here's a match of Soul Sisters in it's original form. It works well vs creature decks. It does have some shortcomings and they mostly a function of price. A lot of people play soul sisters because the deck is very inexpensive compared to other Modern decks.


It showcased both the way the deck should perform and it's shortcomings. I lost game two because my opponent had a Goblin Chieftain and several 1/1 tokens that became 2/2. My opponent didn't play optimally but would have crushed me that game if he had. I know this is only one match, but it's pretty representative of creature deck matchups.

Unfortunately, the deck didn't do well against tokens and needed more removal. I had Path to Exile and Disenchant in the sideboard, but I need them main deck.



Here was my first round of changes:

4 Martyr of Sands
4 Serra Ascendant
4 Soul Warden
4 Soul's Attendant
4 Ajani's Pridemate
4 Honor of the Pure
4 Ranger of Eos
4 Squadron Hawk
2 Auriok Champion
3 Path to Exile
2 Cavern of Souls
2 Windbrisk Heights
19 Plains


Sideboard:
3 Disenchant
3 Aven Mindcensor
1 Path to Exile
3 Rest in Peace
3 Stony Silence
2 Proclamation of Rebirth

I moved the Proclamations to the sideboard and brought in some paths.

One other think I found lacking with the deck was a complete lack of surprise. Everything I did excluding path to exile was at sorcery speed. This had to change. I added windswept heights because much of the time it would put me over the 30 life mark and make my Serra Ascendants get their bonus and ultimately lead to the win.

I'll next time is when the deck really got fun. I added some cards that made the deck so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment