Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Modern Decks - Soul Sisters Part 3

Hi Everyone!

Today we're back with my first Modern deck, Soul Sisters. Last time We talked about the deck we focused on it's strengths and it's ability to win nearly any creature matchup with giant Ajani's Pridemates and 6/6 Flying Lifelinked Serra Ascendants.

Some problems we noticed in game two of my video from previous weeks was that a bunch of 1/1 creatures aren't good when the real win conditions get pathed or abrupt decayed.

The other problem is glaring. It's a mono-white deck. It has a decent sideboard of hate for various match ups that were popular online at the time I played the deck. The deck obviously needed removal and didn't have any mainboard so a lot of the time it was just not possible to win game 1 against large threats even if the opponent had light removal.

The other major problem with the deck is still is a problem. White fundamentally lacks disruption. The deck just rolls over to combo decks. My only mission versus combo decks is to kill them before they combo. Sometimes this deck behaves like a midrange deck and other times it behaves like a super aggro deck by attacking with a 10/10 on turn 3.

The only combo deck I had a good matchup against was Scapeshift because I'd wait until they tried to kill me and pop my martyr to gain a bunch of life and stay alive. Sometimes I'd even pop a couple martyrs by turn 3 or 4 and message my opponent and ask if they can even do 50 damage. The answer was usually no and they conceeded.

So I came up with various versions of the deck and found them all the same versus heavy removal and combo.

Eventually I thought I'd stray from soul sisters "budget roots" and make some sweet changes to see if I could get the deck to be competitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment