Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Modern Metagame Shift to Cheap decks due to Modern Masters 2015

Karn LiberatedHi Everyone!

As everyone knows, I'm not a huge fan of the ideology that Wizards takes in managing Modern. I think their initial bannings were weak and without warrant. But, now that MM2 is out it's really making a difference in the decks I see.

I think the changes could result in Twin no longer being the singular top deck. I have seen tons and tons of Tron decks and they have been doing well. It seems like the metagame (online at least, and possibly temporary) has shifted to RG Tron being a top deck.

I'm not sure if this deck is popular because many expensive cards for the deck are in MM2, or if it's really good. From my observation I think it's a deck that doesn't have to do a lot of thinking, it's very easy to play. Step 1, get Tron with Expedition Maps and Sylvan Scrying, Step 2: Play expensive spells and win game.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the shift to it being a "budget" online deck for Modern is relevant (probably is) but it's becoming popular.

If Tron stays popular, pick up your Karns, Ugins, and Wurmcoil Engines, and bank on there being another shift shortly after to decks that play many basic lands, or more likely run Blood Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment