Monday, September 14, 2015

Did anyone else notice this?

Hi Everyone!

This annoyed me a lot when I was watching Worlds Coverage. Some of the Zendikar spoilers were done with Mark Rosewater talking to Wil Wheaton.

Now, that's great that they want to spring for relevant "nerds" to present for them. There is a problem though. I have been calling it the "Star Trek problem". Recent Star Trek movies have been made to reach a larger audience. The target audience are non-fans of Star Trek.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek, but I saw one of the more recent movies, and thought it was good, apparently their plan worked.

Wizards seems to be trying to bring in "nerd types" to cater to their market. Here's the problem, and it's a normal part of sales, the customer you know will buy will always buy, they gain nothing by making the die hard magic players happy. They gain by bringing in the new players.

Should we take this as an insult? Maybe. Is early spoilers of a new set something the casual or potential player is going to be watching? Probably not.

It's marketing that adds up on paper in the marketing departments powerpoint presentation, but it's like the time Apple was introducing the Apple Watch and the presenters said "[blank] is my favorite band", while mispronouncing the band name, something a real fan would never do.

To me it makes it all seem cheesy and incredibly tacky. They need to have presenters who can actually say the card names and not make common mistakes my dad would make (he's never seen or played a game of magic in his life).

No comments:

Post a Comment