Saturday, October 24, 2015

Scapeshift bugs me

ScapeshiftHi Everyone!

Today I want to complain about Modern. Those of you who know me, know that I think modern gives a great card pool to play but lacks a lot of the answers of older formats that keep certain decks from being degenerative. The lack of certain types of answers makes combo decks very powerful in the format.

Straight combo decks aren't the popular choice at the time of this writing (storm would be a straight combo deck, twin has a backup and is not a straight combo deck).  The deck of choice is usually blue with an infinite combo of some sort.

Scapeshift doesn't have an infinite combo, but it's usually enough to kill the opponent in a single shot. Here's the issue. It's a playable deck that features a bunch of blue cards and a one card combo. Seriously, it's counterspells and green ramp cards, and that's it.

Maybe it's just me but I think the very nature of "one card combo" decks takes away from what Magic is and is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment