Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Modern Bible chapter 36 - The end and where do we go from here

We sat out to try to learn as much as possible about RG Tron. I started this series on Feb 22 this year. At this moment the chapter one article has 6311 views. That is far more than any MTG thing I have ever written, even more than the original Pauper Gauntlet announcement which was the old record holder. I hope you have appreciated the series. The quest to master RG Tron is neverending and will go on from here. If you want to follow that quest please subscribe to my YouTube channel MagicGatheringStrat. That is also the best place to ask me questions regarding the deck - just comment on any RG Tron video on the channel (there are 100+ Tron videos).




So these are my closing words on the Tron subject for this time.


Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

I still think it is wrong to replace a cheap spell such as Spellskite or Relic of Progenitus with an 8-drop. However, the power level of Ugin is just too high not to include him. I am currently playing two and will probably go down to one if I test Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.


My current Tron list

Right now I am playing the Modern League with RG Tron on Magic Online.

This is the list I am currently using. 


1 Tendo Ice Bridge

1 Eye of Ugin
1 Forest
1 Ghost Quarter
4 Grove of the Burnwillows
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Powerplant
4 Urza's Tower

1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
3 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Spellskite

4 Oblivion Stone
4 Karn Liberated
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Expedition Map
4 Sylvan Scrying
4 Ancient Stirrings
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Pyroclasm

Sideboard
4 Nature's Claim
3 Slaughter Games
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Spellskite
1 Boil
1 Pyroclasm
1 Rending Volley
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

As you can see it is basically the list from chapter 5 of the Bible adjusted for Ugin, the Spirit Dragon and with some metagame dependent sideboard changes.

Mono Blue Tron
I get a lot of questions about Mono Blue Tron. I don't have any experience with the deck but from what I have been able to gather the two decks are extremely different. RG Tron is the ultimate midrange deck, defending itself against the aggro decks and having a better endgame than the control decks. Mono Blue Tron is more of a pure control deck - perhaps the closest Modern comes to such a deck.

Fortunately I know exactly the guy to ask about Mono Blue Tron: Pierakor! Pierakos is a frequent player of Mono Blue Tron who streams on twitch.com/magicgatheringstrat and who has been kind enough to put together a Bible (!) for Mono Blue Tron here: http://magicgatheringstrat.com/2015/09/mono-u-tron-faq/

The very last closing thought
RG Tron is a metagame dependent deck. I do think that every Tron player should have a secondary deck that has different strengths and weaknesses from Tron. If combo, affinity and burn are out in great numbers you should probably play that other deck. If I do a second Modern Bible (nothing has been decided yet) I will be looking for such a deck.


For a full list of the chapters of The Modern Bible: http://mtgolibrary.blogspot.se/2015/02/the-modern-bible-of-rg-tron-part-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment