Sunday, December 14, 2014

The holiday season and Magic Online

Hi Everyone!
Typically prices for new fall sets drop online until December then begin to climb back up. The price for Khans continues to fall and makes me think this could be the beginning of a shift in the time line of MTGO prices for new sets. I have written about it before, but this is the first real evidence of this, but let's explore some other factors that could be in play before we jump to any conclusions.

The holiday season is the busiest it's ever been (since I started playing Magic Online). In the US the holiday shopping season has been lackluster at best each year, last year was the first year it showed growth from the previous year, this year numbers appear much better than even last year. The improving economy could mean people are playing Magic Online less and shopping for presents for friends and family more.

The other big factor that's only related to Khans, not every Fall set is the insane hype surrounding Khans. Khans was highly hyped and I think there was so much excitement that it caused the prices to skyrocket more than normal. Think of the fetch lands, they were so highly anticipated, but they aren't even that good in Standard. If I remember correctly LSV even wrote an article saying they are some of the best cards in magic and ranked them 5 out of 5. I don't argue that they are great cards, but I don't think they are 5 out of 5 for standard....It hurts a little to say it but I think the Theros block temples are better in most cases (considering 3 and 4 color decks) than Fetches in Standard.

I know we didn't make any conclusions today regarding economic shifts in MTGO, but I hope I have provided you with some information that helps you take a stance on the issue and make decisions in your trades that will be beneficial to your trading.


No comments:

Post a Comment