Wednesday, December 3, 2014

What happened to Vintage on Magic Online?

Hi Everyone!

A couple weeks ago was the finals of the first Vintage Super League. It was streamed live on Twitch and uploaded to Randy Buehler's YouTube channel. From April through July of this year, I produced a series of videos released on YouTube talking about MTG finance. The demand seemed to be for me to make picks.

The problem was that people wanted "free get rich quick" information in the form of picks, or they called that kind of information bogus and accused me of somehow stealing from them. I catered to my audience and gave picks.

There was one person who was notably annoying to me who always tried to use his influence in a certain online community to slam me. Fortunately for me I was able to adequately defend my picks and position with good arguements. This made the person mad that they couldn't just slam me and have me just take it. Little of this is relevant to the article today.

What is relevant is that this guy constantly bad mouthed me and my picks and said, "the only thing you should be investing in is Vintage Masters".

Hmmm....Let's stop and think about that one for a minute...

What did happen to Vintage on Magic Online? It looks like the shiny new thing came along and made the Vintage hype go away.

Additionally, I've talked about it before, VMA cards were all cheap compared to before they came out in VMA so everyone thought Vintage was cheaper to get into. This was not the case, all that happened was cards that weren't in VMA went up to offset the price drop of cards printed in VMA. It was a little cheaper, but not by much.

How do we capitalize on this?

I think Vintage cards are as cheap as they have ever been and it's probably a good time to buy. Now may not be the very very lowest ever, but that's not the name of the game, the name of the investing game is to sell higher than you bought.

If you're looking to wait, I'd say your best opportunity would be a few weeks after they announce Vintage Masters 2 or Legacy Masters. That pretty much guarantees the hype for Vintage or Legacy from the new set will drive prices of cards not in the new set.

No comments:

Post a Comment