Wednesday, July 6, 2011

To intimidate or not to intimidate.


That is the question.... We all strive to make our decks perfect, down to the very last card. This is true. You may have just dropped 200 tickets on the newest and best Standard deck or commander deck, but the one factor no one ever takes into account is the intimidation factor of magic cards.

You may be thinking right now, "intimidation factor?" lol, but just think for a second. If you are playing a 100 ticket deck against a 200 ticket deck, and every single one of your cards in game one is a foil, or a full art foil promo, then your opponent will obviously start with the thought that your deck is professionally built. I know when I play limited games or constructed games, when the first 3 lands dropped are full art Unhinged lands, I think that their deck is professionally built. Most people wont underestimate you, which means they will play much more conservatively, which in my eyes is a very good thing.

So just think about spending 0.5 tickets on an uncommon next time, maybe its worth buying a foil promo version of that card for 1 ticket, it looks better and may enhance your game play. It also makes your deck worth a lot more.

3 comments:

  1. Good point, I use the opposite tactic a lot when playing paper magic. I shuffle awkwardly, read all of their cards, ask stupid questions etc. When they establish me as a donk they play a bit more lax, but its much more difficult to apply this tactic on mtgo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andy that's a awesome tactic! You can do that on MTGO. Tap and untap your mana in different orders when your playing Mono Color decks or play your buff spells like Giant Growth during your first Main Phase and then don't attack! My Favorite is to send my 1/1 creatures on suicide missions against larger foes. ... Then I play JTMS and WIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some interesting Jedi Mind Tricks guys. I like to take time and read the cards too, it also works as a reminder for myself to slow down and assess what's going on. I also ditched all my regular lands for the Zendikar lands, I'm not flush enough for the Unhinged ones but the Zendikar ones are still prrty :)

    ReplyDelete