Sunday, January 25, 2015

Moderns Fate, Reforged!

Hi Everyone!
On Wednesday of this week, I posted about how Pod, cruise, and Dig were banned in Modern. They were everywhere and were cards that were extremely good and would likely warp Modern had they not been banned. Pod was banned because of it's insane power level.

A couple years ago, when I got back into Magic and learned about this new "Modern" format, I looked over a lot of the cards in gatherer. I just browsed because I left right as Time Spiral came out and immediately knew that the Shock Lands from Ravnica would be staples and that there had to be a way to make Birthing Pod awesome. I had envisioned a way to fetch up tons of utility creatures with sweet comes into play abilities (this was before I saw the decklists of current at the time modern decks). I was happy when I saw Pod winning (or at least doing really well) after I started following competitive Magic again.

Why did Pod get banned? It got banned because with better creatures coming out, Pod gets better. It's not an exact comparison, but when deciding on creature decks, there's creatures with Pod and creatures without pod (any non-pod creature deck). Unfortunately Pod was so good that it made the former better in almost all cases. It had the best creatures and could tutor for the specific one for a certain circumstance. Also, as better creatures come out, Pod gets a greater amount of better than non-pod decks using the same creature. I think the Siege Rhino broke the camels back.

So where is Modern going? This week cards for Jund, and any blue control deck went up by a ton in price. That means Jund, Junk, UWR Control, Twin, or Scapeshift could be the next top deck in Modern.

I personally think that Jund won't be as good as it was before the Deathrite banning because DRS could speed up the deck, buy time, stop graveyard shenanigans, and ultimately kill you with it's black mana ability.

I think Scapeshift and Twin will be the top two decks in the new Modern. Scapeshift an
d Twin both have a "combo kill" where they play one (or one at the end of your turn and another on their turn) spell and kill you immediately. Twin was once one of the top decks before Khans was released and Scapeshift was a deck, never quite in the same class as Pod and Twin, but with the weakened format it could be a real deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment