Sunday, January 4, 2015

Standard investment advice for the upcoming months

Hi Everyone!

Last week I talked about buying cards that could be good in the future Standard. That's a great idea but as always, it's not the only thing to look at.

Right now in Standard there isn't really a good control deck and the format is super diverse, there are many viable decks. This is mostly because of a lack of good control cards. The cards that make control work just aren't as good as before Khans in Standard. There are two dominant deck types right now, there are aggro and midrange. There is no control deck.

I have invested and think every speculator should invest in the Rare and Mythics played in popular  midrange decks. Cards like Siege Rhino come to mind. Why do I think Midrange is the place to be? I really think Wizards has purposely built a format that has huge game swings (considering it's standard) because of a single creature like Siege Rhino or Butcher of the Horde. I think they created this Standard format this way because it always seems like either player can win, and that's fun. If you ask me, I'd bet that market research shows that players like playing where the cards are a much bigger determinant of the winner than the quality of play. Doesn't it make sense to make it possible for new players to beat good players to get the new player to play the game more?

Rant off.

Anyway, I think it's pretty important to look at any information available, even what Wizards is up to and what their goals could be. I'm betting that there won't be a good Standard control deck during the rest of Khans block (if control in standard comes back, it will be in the next block or M16 at the earliest).

I could be wrong about my assumptions about Wizards, but it's pretty blatant and even several pro players have made comments about Wizards trying to make Standard "tempo based" and not skill based.

No comments:

Post a Comment