Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Formidable Green in Standard Pauper

Many magic players start out playing green decks with big monsters. Eventually we all learn that is not a very efficient strategy but there are sometimes exceptions to this rule. Now is the time of such an exception.

Meet Formidable Green, a Standard Pauper deck by Gq1rf7 (yes, that is a player's online name).

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Stampeding Elk Herd
4 Swordwise Centaur
3 Alpine Grizzly
3 Glade Watcher
3 Nylea's Disciple
2 Atarka Beastbreaker
2 Nessian Courser
2 Vulpine Goliath
1 Leafcrown Dryad
1 Sedge Scorpion
Spells
4 Epic Confrontation
3 Aspect of Hydra
2 Hunter's Ambush
Lands
22 Forest
SIDEBOARD
2 Savage Punch
2 Leafcrown Dryad
2 Hunter's Ambush
2 Ranger's Guile
2 Sedge Scorpion
1 Return to the Earth
1 Nessian Courser
1 Dragon-Scarred Bear
1 Aspect of Hydra
1 Nylea's Disciple

Play mana. Play big monsters. Swing for the win. OK, you have to use some combat tricks but this deck is surprisingly efficient.

Sample matches

Here are three matches I played with the deck. I have not yet figured out how to sideboard, but I am enjoying the list very much.

First a match vs a heroic deck. The heroics decks are falling out of favor, possibly because of new, better removal at common.


As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago there are now infinite combos in Standard Pauper. In this second match I run into one of them ... but the green guys provide a pretty fast clock!



Can Formidable Green be contained? Well, if it can, I bet a UR Control deck would be the one deck to be able to. What about a Grixis Control deck? Well, lets see:

No comments:

Post a Comment