Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Dragons of Tarkir Standard

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been playing as much standard as I do usually the past couple weeks. The new standard feels different to me. I almost feel like Dragons feels like a new block.

Generally the blocks are set apart by different story lines. This is interesting because the sets are thematically linked but not the same. I think it makes the game play different while still maintaining the theme of the set.

I have talked about the change to two set blocks in the past (which if you haven't heard is to increase profits).

My concern that I have voiced before is that when the "new set" like Dragons of Tarkir comes out that has a big impact on standard, the format will change so often that Magic will become a "pay to win" game whoever has the new cards, wins.

This does make it disheartening to play Standard, even though it's the cheapest format to get into. It has hidden recurring costs that non-rotating formats don't have. This could (and I hope it is) be a boon to bot owners and card dealers by making prices higher in the secondary.

I thought DTK is the first set in a while to be completely different and made a big impact on Standard so I wanted to look at what's happening and talk about it a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment